Thursday 13 August 2009




I miss living in Mumbai, the noise & chaos, the very loud & colourful presence of hindi movies....the energy, the madness, the warmth, the spirituality, the devotion and dynamism.


And I miss the city even more at this time of the year when during .......


Janmashtami it witnesses the exuberant enactment of the god's childhood endeavors to steal butter and curd from earthen pots beyond his reach.



This is taken from wikipedia



Janmaashtami, popularly known in Mumbai and Pune as Dahi Handi



is celebrated with enormous zeal and enthusiasm. The handi is a clay pot filled with buttermilk that was positioned at a convenient height prior to the event; the topmost person on the human pyramid tries to break the handi by hitting it with a blunt object, and when that happens, the buttermilk is spilled over the entire group, symbolizing their achievement through unity. Various Handis are set up locally in several parts of the city, and groups of youngsters, called Govinda, travel around in trucks trying to break as many handis as possible during the day.
Many such Govinda Pathaks compete with each other, especially for the handis that dole out hefty rewards. The event, in recent times, has gathered a political flavor, and it is not uncommon for political parties, and rich community groups to offer prizes amounting to lakhs of rupees.
Some of the most famous handis are at Dadar, Mazgaon, Lalbaug and some in Thane a neighboring district of Mumbai and Babu Genu, Mandai in Pune.
Cash and gifts are offered for Govinda troops to participate; for over 4000 Handis in Mumbai, 700 Govinda troops compete for the prizes.


This custom follows the habit of Lord Krishna who used to steal butter in this manner from villagers along with his friends. The reason for this is that Gokul; the place where lord Krishna spent his childhood used to generate a lot of milk and the people used to sell it in Mathura, thus depriving their children from milk and butter which is very essential for young boys and girls.
In South India, Janmashtami or Gokulashtami is celebrated with prayers, devotional renditions and offering of fruits and special prasadams to Lord Krishna. In some houses, a typical setting of 'Gokulam' is arranged with mud images of Devaki, Vasudeva with little Krishna perched in a basket on his head, a cow, besides other things related to Krishna's legends.




Yashoda with Krishna







This painting is also among one of the faces of a woman....as a mother.


I had reserved this painting for today as it is appropriate to publish it in my post on the day of Lord krishnas Birth.


I have made it on 30 cms x 30 cms acid free canvas. I have added some glitter to the painting...I hope it is visible. I feel it adds more feel to it. If you notice the background has been painted with sponge dipped in flame colour and on that sponge with green colour has been printed. I just tried my hand on this as I wanted the background somewhat like a wall paper look.....


Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Ram Hare Ram Ram Ram Hare Hare


As we all are celebrating Janmashtami, we should also remember to be careful about the swine flu. I hope everyone takes precautionary measures....

Take care n stay fit.....


I m in process of restructing my blog......hopefully I am able to do complete before Ganesh Festival....

Also wanted to know if you all like the name Domestic Goddess or I should change it to SuzCorner....as all my friends and family call me Su so I thought to keep it SuzCorner.......

Do tell me what you guys think of the name....

Love Su



No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online